A History of Carlyle
In the beginning...
"It appears that Carlyle owes its creation to the existence of the Goshen Trail, a road stretching from Alton, Illinois to Shawneetown on the Ohio River. The Goshen Trail was a worn path that bisected Carlyle as it currently exists, and it made use of a ford that spanned the Kaskaskia River....."
Read Full History (PDF, 209kb)
General Dean Suspension Bridge (Pictured Above)
This bridge was built in 1859 at a cost of $40,000 and used for nearly seventy years. Previously, travelers at Carlyle crossed the Kaskaskia River by ferry or on a mud bridge supported by logs. The Historic American Buildings Survey recognized the architectural significance of this bridge in 1950 and recommended its preservation. In 1951 the State Legislature appropriated $20,000 for restoration work. The bridge was named in honor of Major General William F. Dean, a Korean War hero and Carlyle native, in 1953. As of 1976 this was the only suspension bridge in Illinois.
Clinton County Historical Museum
Built in the late 1800s as a private home, the museum holds many artifacts from the area, including genealogical material, books and periodicals on the history of the county. 1091 Franklin St. 618-594-4015
The Veterans Memorial located at the southeast corner of the Clinton County Courthouse Square, stands in honor of the Clinton County veterans who served over time, securing freedom for this country.